Re: Some oddities in Sydney Underground system?

'Twas a dark and stormy night on Mon, 27 Sep 1999 14:06:59 +1000 as "David"
<drhilder(nospamjunk)@hotmail.com> took time out from the neverending quest to
rid the world of grues and wrote:

> 1 - Wynyard Station has platfroms 3,4 and 5,6. where is platform 1 and 2???

The old tramway.  It was never renumbered because the public would be confused.

> 2 - St James looks like it was designed to have 4 train tunnels rather then
> the present 2 (just look at the roof for confirmation of this. what
> happened?

Yes, there are 4 platforms at St James.  The tunnels in one direction (towards
Central) still feature the old bomb shelters.  In one section, there is an old
bell.  This was reputedly used by the ABC for sound effects.

The (incomplete) tunnel in the other direction goes to Circular Quay and is now
flooded.  To access it you need to climb a ladder, go through a hole in some
rock and down another ladder.

> 3 - has anyone got any info on a potential sation between St james and
> circular quay?

They wanted a station at Macquarie Street near the Library/Parliament House.

> 4 - Why dont country trains go through wynward and over the bridge?

The fumes from diesel locos would take a while to dissipate.

> 5 - Anyone noticed how the new tv style indicators at Martin place already
> have significant screen etching particulary on the bondi junction side where
> the station names dont move (having only been there for a couple of months)?
> maybe they should use some sort of screensaver.

Those indicators are a waste of money (IMNSHO).  I much prefer the old style
manual destination boards.  I guess with staff cutbacks they want to automate as
much as they can.

Catchya

   http://www.ozemail.com.au/~kingpin1