Re: Train Order working

In article <keithm.344.37F06659@happy.dca.gov.au> keithm@happy.dca.gov.au (Dave Malcolm) writes:
>From: keithm@happy.dca.gov.au (Dave Malcolm)
>Subject: Re: Train Order working
>Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 06:55:21 GMT

>In article <38042ee9.2147497@news.ozemail.com.au> telljb@OZozemail.com.au (< Tell >) writes:
>>From: telljb@OZozemail.com.au (< Tell >)
>>Subject: Re: Train Order working
>>Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 02:58:56 GMT

>>"Robert Parnell" <rparnell@netspace.net.au> wrote:
>>>
>>> Train Orders are definitely not in use between Broken Hill and Parkes yet -
>>> I travelled through there Sun night/early Mon. morning on the East-bound IP.
>>> Stopping every 20-30 minutes to attend to the current safeworking partly
>>> adds to the rough ride as the train was bunched and unbunched at each stop.
>>> The crew may not have been used to hauling passenger trains. There is also
>>> the noticeable boundary of each track authority from Perth to Sydney -
>>> clearly evident by the ride quality. By far the worst section is from Broken
>>> Hill station to Sydney. Meals in the dining car were served without any
>>> problem until NSW - watch your drinks are now spilling, the cutlery now
>>> vibrates and slowly creeps to the edge of the table, bottles of wine falling
>>> off the bar repeatedly. No such problems else where. A foreign passenger
>>> commented that we were travelling at a much greater speed (at meal sitting
>>> after Broken Hill.) I timed the train and we were travelling around 120
>>> km/h - the same speed as the Nullabor, but much more noticeable on the
>>> different quality of track.

>>The sooner that track comes under the ARTC the better.

>It doesn't matter who owns the track, aslong as they spend money on it. RAC
>obviously aren't.

>Dave Malcolm

>>----Terry Burton
>>[clear OZ in address for email reply]

Unfortunately it does matter who owns the track.
RAC arnt spending any money on Parkes to Broken Hill simply because the line
is totally uneconomic to run , ie there simply arnt enuf trains using it to
ever recoup the upgrade costs in access fees.
The only way to get the line upgraded is to get the Feds to pay for it which
they wont do until its part of ARTCs network.

MD