Re: QR going national?

In article <37EFE6C3.E1D72879@mailbox.uq.edu.au> Rob Kearey <r.kearey@mailbox.uq.edu.au> writes:
>From: Rob Kearey <r.kearey@mailbox.uq.edu.au>
>Subject: Re: QR going national?
>Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 21:50:59 +0000

>"< Tell >" wrote:

>> Nobody can operate a train in Qld hauling freight or
>> coal on State tracks in competition to QR.

>I'd love to know if anybody has actually /tried/. Could it be that the
>business cases for doing so have been done, and that nobody is actually
>game enough to give it a go?

>> ----Terry Burton

>--
>Robert Kearey                   Remote Access Group
>ITS                             University of Queensland
>Sentence fragment               I don't speak for my employer
>"This message double-encrypted with ROT-13 for your protection"

Carpentaria Transport , (a wholly owned subsidiary of TNT) tried in Dec 1996
to gain access to the Cairns - Brisbane line for the purposes of running its
own trains from Cairns to Brisbane using 8 locos and 200 wagons.
QR totally opposed the access.
As there was then , and currently still is no effective access regime in place
in Queensland, there is no mechanism for any 3rd party operators to run trains
in Queensland unless QR will let them.
Dont hold your breath.

MD