Re: Long platforms

Roderick Smith wrote:
> Sydney has at last become Sydney Central throughout (and is signed
> accordingly), but now that suburban trains have signs, they show 'Sydney
> Terminal''.

Central still seems to have a mixed identity. The 1st July Countrylink
timetable just calls it "Sydney".

> Brisbane can't make up its mind if the place is Roma St station or Brisbane
> Transit Centre.

Both. BTC is above the terminal building of Roma St station.

> Airports are named after the city which they serve, even when located way
> out.  The geographical location is added as a suffix.
> Hence: London Heathrow

Except where airports are named after people.

> Railway stations make greates sense if named in the London style:
> London Kings Cross
> London Euston.

What about the proposed renaming of Spencer St to "V/Line Melbourne"?

If the Melbourne & Essendon Railway had built its proposed terminus at
the top end of Elizabeth St, then Melbourne would really be in a mess.

> I am still trying to obtain Queensland's longest: presumably Roma St
> north-coast platform and Rockhampton.  How long is the new Cairns platform?

I think platform 2 was the longest at Roma St before the new one
(platform 11?) was built.

Prior to this, South Brisbane may have had the longest in the state, at
the former sg terminus.

Cheers
David