Re: How can we make trains run later?

--
Ray McDermott   raymcd@ozemail.com.au
Matthew Geier <matthew@mail.usyd.edu.au> wrote in message
7sc2k9$3h5$1@metro.ucc.usyd.edu.au">news:7sc2k9$3h5$1@metro.ucc.usyd.edu.au...
> In article <7sbtl2$6g7$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,  <facetious@my-deja.com> wrote:
> >The retards at shittyrail have done it again - introduced a new way of
> >making trains run late.  Attached is an OCR (unedited)
> >
> >Locking Door Motor and Public Address Project.
> >New equipment has been fitted to cars 3981, 3979, 4076, 4949, & 3052.
> >This new equipment consists of 1. Door Open Indicator Lamps (DOIL)
> >2. Door Open Traction Interlock (DOTI) 3. Door Warning Device (DWD)
> >4. Emergency Door Release (EDR)
>
>  Ahh, so we at last bring the Sydney train fleet up to the safety
standards
> now applied to pretty well every other suburban railway in Australia.
>
>  I would expect that all new Metro/Suburban rolling stock built anywhere
> in the world over the last few years to have similar door safety
interlocks
> from 'as built'.

It took Cityrail and its previous incarnations about 25 years to learn how
to make power-operated doors work.  The original POD set (c. 1955?) had door
not-closed indications but these were soon disabled .

It looks as though the learning period will be about the same for
destination indicators (buses seem to have no problem in this area).  The
Tangaras have been around for more than a decade and the indicators still do
not work.  SRA signage is generally hopeless; how does a stranger find
Wynyard Station from George St or a bus/tram at Central?  The Olympics are
less than a year away!

Ray