Re: Box Hill FSS Locals (Was Re: Late running trains go Express (Hillside))

>That is right the loading between Box Hill and Camberwell is too much, more
>local trains are needed from Blackburn and Box Hill (one reason for a third
>track beyond Box Hill, but it is on the drawing board to be done by 2011,
as
>well as three track Caulfield-Dandenong, but that is another thread for
>after the election).  The other problem arrises when a train from Blackburn
>will run about 2-3 minutes ahead of a train from Alamein on the Section
>Camberwell-Burnley.

Counter-peak it probably needs to happen this way to allow more express
trains to use the same tracks as the locals.

Why run local trains to Blackburn at all, it just uses a path for two
stations that could be used to provide a better service past there? Why not
run the trains like they do in the evening peak with most local trains
terminating at the centre platform at Box Hill and the expresses using the
outside platforms?

>I think the following changes need to be made;
>* Change the 3 stopping trains from RWD at about 0742, 0810 and 0820 to
>express trains.
>* Run more locals from Box Hill and Blackburn, currently there is a local
>from Blackburn every 15 minutes.  The locals should form at least a 10
>minutes service, then about 1/2 these train run express
Camberwell-Glenferrie-
>Richmond and direct.  They would be followed about 2-3 minutes later by a
train
>from Alamein.

fundamentally a good idea although I suppose the logic is that the more
changes you subject a passenger to, the less likely they are to use the
service. The justification for express trains is that the majority of
passengers are only going to the major stations and the journey time is
significantly reduced for them. I guess the two or three minutes saved isn't
going to make much of a difference unless there are other things done to
improve the time further or unless you gan absolutley guarantee a painless
connection (ie same platform, no delays to following local train)

>This would provide about a 10 minute service between BOX-CAM and about a 8
min
>service between Camberwell-Richmond, with Glenferrie getting about a 6 min
>service plus the express that stop there.

Certainly during the heart of the peak a 10 minute service is needed. Don't
forget a lot of local schools are near East Camberwell and Canterbury
stations.

>* Run the opposite in the evening peak.  But the only problem with this is
there
>is no cross platform changes for people on the stoppers to the
>expresses at Camberwell, Box Hill or Blackburn.

That's always going to be the way for someone until they make the centre
platform a dead end at Box Hill or Blackburn and extend the platform around
the back and realign the track to create an island with a dead end in the
centre...not in my lifetime if ever...8^)