Re: Alice-Darwin and East Timor

Les Brown <pcc@ocean.com.au> wrote in message
37e39fed.16860952@news.ocean.com.au">news:37e39fed.16860952@news.ocean.com.au...

> The DoD also concluded 20 years ago that the US would defend
> Australia, so now what?

When Australia is under attack, then we will ask that question. So far,
Australia has not been attacked since the 1940's, so you cannot say anything
about the US role in Australia's defence.

> It's not so much the defence of North Australia that a railway is
> needed, but for the supply of troops, food, medical supplies,
> ammunition, APC's, whatever, with Darwin as the jumping off point for
> theatres north.
>
> Yes, a Herc. C5 could supply it all, but I would leave such duties to
> less immediate forms of transportation such as rail, and leave the C5
> to be used more effectively. Australia does not have an unlimited
> supply of C5's.

Actually, Australia does not have ANY c5's - the C5, btw, is operated by the
USAF. Australia has 24 C130's - 12 C130E's and 12 C130H's - with 12 C130J's
on order to replace the E models, with options on more to replace the H's.
It is easy to distinguish between them - the E's are painted silver and
grey, the H's are in cammy.

> Regarding the tanks, you are correct, from Pucka, the Loading Gauge is
> very restrictive, but not from Port Augusta or Adelaide. Personally,
> don't think tanks would be the main traffic when they would most
> likely only constitute a tiny percentage of the overall traffic task.

Spoken like a true defence expert.

DaveP