Re: VIC: 1987 Safeworking Systems

Christopher_Martin GORDON <cmgord@ecr.mu.oz.au> wrote in message
7rs9fg$fnf$2@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU">news:7rs9fg$fnf$2@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU...

> : I have recently acquired a 1987 General appendix to the Metrail Working
> : Timetable. There are several questions which arise from browsing through
> : this:
> : - What was the safeworking between Graham and Port Melbourne just before
> : its closure?

Worked as part of Graham yard.

> : - What was the safeworking between Ashburton and Alamein in 1987?

> I think it has been station limits since the automation and panel was
installed
> at Ashburton.  See http://www.ecr.mu.oz.au/~cmgord/trains/signalling/ashburton

Yes.

> : - What was the safeworking between Fairfield Jn and the APM factory
> : before its closure?

> Either station limits or siding conditions.  I think it was station limits.

a: Where is Fairfield Jn? :o)
b: Safeworking between Fairfield and the APM factory was nothing, worked as a
siding.

> : - What was the last revenue passenger train to operate from Williamstown
> : to Williamstown Pier?

Uuurgh, that's possibly lost in the mists of time. AFAIK it was after a train
derailed, and the service never resumed.

> : - When was double line block on the Epping line replaced?

19-9-26 Clifton Hill - Northcote Loop Jct, 30-7-61 Northcote Loop Jct - Merri,
4-10-87 Merri - Thornbury, 18-10-87 Thornbury - Bell, 17-4-88 Bell - Reservoir,
8-5-88 Reservoir - Keon Pk.

> : - When was Staff and ticket between Keon Park and Epping Replaced?

> Late 1980's.  Three position signalling was provided first to replace
> the double line block, and then three position signalling to replace
> the TST (train staff and ticket) and now Lalor-Epping is station limits.
> Have a look at the date on my Bell signalling page.
> http://www.ecr.mu.oz.au/~cmgord/trains/signalling/bell

19-6-88 Keon Park - Lalor TST replaced with ATC, 14-5-89 Lalor - Epping TST
abolished, worked as part of Epping Yard.

> : An item of interest is that this shows the following signal boxes on the
> : Epping line attended for every train:
> : - Clifton Hill A
> : - Clifton Hill B
> : - Merri
> : - Northcote
> : - Thornbury
> : - Bell (not for every train)
>
> I believe switchout was never provided at Bell.  Boom gates replaced the
> interlocked gates at Bell street.  The panel at bell was provided very early
> in the re-signalling, hence the not for every trains.

16-3-69: Prov BB ILO IG 16M 44C Bell St, Posts 10, 12 and 13 conv to Lights.
Prov DLB SW Fac, Sects:- Thornbury - (Bell) - (Regent) - Reservior.

> Is Bell was switched out then the section would be Thornbury-Reservoir.  This
> section is too long for trains during peak hour.

Unless it was off peak only??

> Before the re-signalling there were many gates along the line.  Basically
> the line was the same set up as the Upfield line was.  Frankston line was the
> same till the early 1980's.  And all the other lines, like Box Hill-Ringwood
> was done in sections in the 1950's.

> Basically they provided three position signalling when they needed to reduce
> the headways on the line for more trains.  Most three position signalling has
> a headway of 2 minutes, where four aspect speed signalling is used the headway
> is about 90 seconds, designed to get the next train into the station close
> behind the previous trains.  The City loop has a headway of 90 seconds.

> : - Reservoir
> : - Keon Park
> : - Lalor

> : Double Line Block working was in force between Merri and Keon Park.
> : Staff and ticket operation was in force between Keon Park and Lalor and
> : Lalor and Epping
> : Thomastown was able to be opened as a Staff Station and had a crossing
> : loop.

> : Now this may not be interesting to everyone, but I was only 7 years old
> : at the time and didn't even know what the word safeworking meant, let
> : alone know what a staff was!

Is this where we plug the SRSV?

> That is right.  Double line block basically you send a train if the section
> is clear.  (using bell codes between the signal boxes, hence the reason they
> had to be staffed).  One of the reasons it was upgraded was to provide better
> headways on the line because of the new maintance depot at Epping.

And in Victoria, we use Winters Block Instruments which are absolutely more
exotic than most type of Block Working Instruments.

> With the double line block say a train is waiting at Clifton Hill, then the
> signaller can't get line clear until the previous train has left Merri, now
> with three position signalling the train can leave Clifton Hill after the
> previous train has cleared Rushall.

Tales are told of the Signalman at Mitcham in the morning peak, didn't bother
waiting to see the tail disc, just count the pantographs as the train came over
(Insert correct name) Road, and give the Train Arrived signal back to Ringwood.
(Not a Westrace in sight).

'Fraid I have zilch on DLB on my site: http://www.bigfoot.com/~notagunzel  :o)

--
Mr Notagunzel.