Re: Driver Qualifications.

<snip>
>As an example , which could become reality very soon , lets suppose that
the
>new owner of the privatised Westrail decides to enter the National Freight
>market and wants to run trains from Perth to Melb hauled by Q class.
>Obviously the new owner would inherit a number of ex  Westrail crews who
would
>be qualified on Qs and who would know the road as far as Kalgoorlie, but
there
>isnt likely to be a single person in the country who would know the road to
>Melb and be qualified to drive a Q.
>Historically , there always have been drivers who are able to train other
>drivers on foreign roads , but in these days of competition its unlikely
that
>another company is going to voluntarily agree to teach its soon to be
>opposition a foreign road.
>Does ARTC have loco inspectors who know the road from Parkeston to Melb
>who are able to train new drivers.?
>
>Its a brave new world.
>cheers
>MD

Maurie, I hope you aren't implying a single Westrail crew will be taking a
train from Perth to Melbourne !!

If Westrail wanted to take this path, they would hire staff, at intermediate
changeover locations, that were qualified in the applicable roads /
safeworking systems. All drivers' would need to be ultimately qualified in
the applicable safeworking systems they will run over (training usually
outsourced, at high cost). Road training would be carried out by drivers'
employed with existing qualifications. Once training is completed, the final
accreditation process can be easily outsourced if necessary (again at high
cost), until the company has staff qualified to accredit drivers' on a road.

Training drivers' in loco types, e.g. Q class, is a simple process - one to
two hours ground instruction ( longer if the driver isn't qualified in the
particular brakevalve).

There are drivers' that are qualified for vast distances - usually due to
depot transfers. However, over sections they no longer run over, they will
lose their qualifications after a period of time,

Driver training  and accreditation is a very involved and expensive process.
Maybe they should leave the interstate freight to NRC <g>.

Regards,
Russ...