Re: Privatisation (was:Re: Late running trains go Express (Hillside))

Exnarc <gwrly@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
7rmlt3$9ss$1@otis.netspace.net.au">news:7rmlt3$9ss$1@otis.netspace.net.au...

> Johann Fan <jyf@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> 7rlism$f0m$1@news1.mpx.com.au">news:7rlism$f0m$1@news1.mpx.com.au...
> > Chris Brownbill <cbrnbill@enternet.com.au> wrote in message
> > 37DE490B.F06EAADE@enternet.com.au">news:37DE490B.F06EAADE@enternet.com.au...
> > > Christopher_Martin GORDON wrote:
> > [snip]
> > >
> > > Morally and ethically yes, but that holds no stick whatever in the
brave
> > new
> > > world of privatisation.  They LEGALLY must make as much profit as they
> > can -
> > > otherwise the directors can be held liable for failing to maximise
> profit.
> > This
> > > is the real pointy end of privatisation.
> >
> > Its all in how you sell it to the public, not legality or morals.
> >
> > > My prediction is that the next thing we will see is when the
timetables
> > are next
> > > re-drawn, an extra minute or two will be added to journey times to
make
> it
> > just
> > > that little bit easier to run on time - for exactly the same reason.
> The
> > real
> > > subtlety to watch for will be that the Working Timetables will differ
> from
> > the
> > > Public timetables, but the Public timetables will be what the contract
> is
> > based
> > > on.  The only time point which will differ between the two timetables
> will
> > be
> > > the final stop (eg Tecoma to Belgrave will be scheduled 5 mins instead
> of
> > 1 or 2
> > > currently).
> >
> > The 3:05p train to GW this afternoon was running about 3 minutes late
> > leaving Spencer St. but made up time (shock horror!!:) and arrived at GW
2
> > minutes early?
> > Did they just adjust the clocks at GW to run just that much slower?
> >
> > They modify the timetables now.. for peak hour... extra minute or so is
> > added at Melb. Central when things start to pick up (after 3:30pm).
> >
> > cheers
> > Johann
> >

> Early running!!!!!!
>
> That would be a worse position for the company than running late!!!
>
> The fine for running early is twice that for running late, the cost of
late
> running on the GW line from 1530 to 1830 on the down is $55 per minute, a
> train arriving at GW 2 minutes early would cost the company $220.
>
> After 1830 to the last train the fine drops to $9.00 per minute, whilst on
> the Alamein line it drops from $25 to $4.00 after 1830.

> [...]
[snip]

so Hillside would rather cancel Alamein trains (like they do) and run that
train to Hurstbridge to save themselves the fine (if similiar figures for
afternoon down trains)? Also, don't they have a +/- 5 minute window as the
passengers charter says?

cheers
Johann