Re: Privatisation (was:Re: Late running trains go Express (Hillside))

Exnarc wrote:

> Johann Fan <jyf@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> 7rlism$f0m$1@news1.mpx.com.au">news:7rlism$f0m$1@news1.mpx.com.au...
> > Chris Brownbill <cbrnbill@enternet.com.au> wrote in message
> > 37DE490B.F06EAADE@enternet.com.au">news:37DE490B.F06EAADE@enternet.com.au...
> > > Christopher_Martin GORDON wrote:
> > [snip]
> > >
> > > Morally and ethically yes, but that holds no stick whatever in the brave
> > new
> > > world of privatisation.  They LEGALLY must make as much profit as they
> > can -
> > > otherwise the directors can be held liable for failing to maximise
> profit.
> > This
> > > is the real pointy end of privatisation.
> >
> > Its all in how you sell it to the public, not legality or morals.
> >
> > > My prediction is that the next thing we will see is when the timetables
> > are next
> > > re-drawn, an extra minute or two will be added to journey times to make
> it
> > just
> > > that little bit easier to run on time - for exactly the same reason.
> The
> > real
> > > subtlety to watch for will be that the Working Timetables will differ
> from
> > the
> > > Public timetables, but the Public timetables will be what the contract
> is
> > based
> > > on.  The only time point which will differ between the two timetables
> will
> > be
> > > the final stop (eg Tecoma to Belgrave will be scheduled 5 mins instead
> of
> > 1 or 2
> > > currently).
> >
> > The 3:05p train to GW this afternoon was running about 3 minutes late
> > leaving Spencer St. but made up time (shock horror!!:) and arrived at GW 2
> > minutes early?
> > Did they just adjust the clocks at GW to run just that much slower?
> >
> > They modify the timetables now.. for peak hour... extra minute or so is
> > added at Melb. Central when things start to pick up (after 3:30pm).
> >
> > cheers
> > Johann
> >

> Early running!!!!!!
>
> That would be a worse position for the company than running late!!!
>
> The fine for running early is twice that for running late, the cost of late
> running on the GW line from 1530 to 1830 on the down is $55 per minute, a
> train arriving at GW 2 minutes early would cost the company $220.
>
> After 1830 to the last train the fine drops to $9.00 per minute, whilst on
> the Alamein line it drops from $25 to $4.00 after 1830.
>
> Every line has set charges for its trains, they vary from (for example)
>
> Morning peak: Up trains Per Minute:
>
> Epping $60.
> Hurstbridge $78.
> [...]

Bayside fines for unplanned delays to up trains in AM Peak are
Sandringham         $56.00
Frankston             $65.00
Stony Point            $8.00
Cranbourne          $75.00
Pakenham            $68.00
St.Albans             $60.00
Broadmeadows    $63.00
Upfield                 $20.00
Werribee              $54.00
Williamstown        $20.00

But each railways has an allowance of x million minutes a year before these
fines come into place and are not applicable to State Mandated Works or certain
major events (e.g. Melbourne Show, Football) so the whole issue of fines is a
bit of a furphy.
David G.