Re: Longest platform?

> I think it is Albury, or it once was.

The platform at Albury is 500m is length.

It is regarded as the longest covered platform in the Southern
Hemisphere as its
entire length is covered with a majestic canopy complete with lace work
and
cast iron posts.

It is an interesting site to stand at one end of the platform and look
down its entire
length at how strait and true the craftsmanship is.

Other interesting facts about this station are:

The red bricks in its construction are allegedly from Belgium and
brought to
Australia as ships ballast.

The cream feature brick are supposedly from Chiltern Victoria.

The fire place in the waiting room is interesting as there is a windows
directly above the
mantle.  The chimney is actually split in two around the window and then
rejoins it self
as one chimney above the roof line of the station.

Unpleasantly the Albury bowls club is planning to renovate this station
and use it as major bowls club facility.  I hope that they do destroy
the elegance of this fine station.

This station gets my vote as the best regional station in Australia.