Re: Uncompleted Railways

On Sat, 04 Sep 1999 13:35:54 GMT, fjones@pipeline.com.au (Frank Jones)
wrote:

>On Tue, 7 Sep 1999 13:14:09 +1000, "Garry Hoddinett"
><hoddos@netspace.net.au> wrote:
>

>>Can anyone give information on any railway were a SUBSTANTIAL start was =
>>made on construction but work stopped and consequently no track was =
>>laid?
>>
>>Are there any others?  Any similar "railways" in other states?
>
>Another one not yet mentioned (in Victoria, near Maldon) is a
>continuation of the Shelbourne line in a north-west direction (to
>Laanecoorie?). Several kilometres of formation were actually built,
>but no track laid.

To add to my original posting, another one I can think of is the
proposed line from Altona to a point on the Down side of Galvin. (This
was, I think, described in "VR to '62"). It was more or less parallel
to the present-day Westona to Laverton section but 1 or 2 km closer to
Melbourne.

In the early 70s I remember seeing the earthworks (not very
substantial, but still visible) curving away from the Geelong line
before the area became built up. You can still just see it if you know
where to look.