Re: Heritage "W" class trams - what happened?

M.G.Smith <gard@bigpond.com> wrote in message
%AiC3.15154$ei1.30564@newsfeeds.bigpond.com">news:%AiC3.15154$ei1.30564@newsfeeds.bigpond.com...
> Normally routes 12 (City-South Melbourne&St. Kilda), 8 (City-Toorak), and
16
> (City-St. Kilda Beach) are served by "W" class trams only, as part of the
> governments heritage scheme.
> But, on my recent visit I noted "B" class trams on route 12 and "Z" class
> trams on routes 8 & 16.
> What ever happened to the  governments commitment to heritage "W" class
> trams?
> Can some Melbourne locals can explain something I don't know about here in
> Sydney?
> Regards.

The simple fact is that there is not enough W-class trams to serve a full
schedule, therefore the Z's and B's. The 12 runs with some (most?) B's on
weekends.

cheers
Johann