Re: Labor's Transport Policy (Vic)

Christopher_Martin GORDON <cmgord@ecr.mu.oz.au> wrote in message
7ra9jj$d0b$1@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU">news:7ra9jj$d0b$1@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU...

> : Third track between Mitcham and Blackburn (I guess they mean Box Hill
and
> : Ringwood?)
>
> No they mean Blackburn to Mitcham, going through Laburnam and Heatherdale
> with 3 tracks would require thinking and money. (it can be done)

I was thinking Blackburn to Mitcham because of the Mitcham electorate, but
imagine the bank up at Laburnum and Heatherdale. I guess it all comes down
to thinking logically (remembering that we are in an election campaign)

> : "flyer" trains to outer suburbs
> : What are flyer trains? (do they fly? =)
>
> Like one train overtaking another, like what they currently have between
> Box Hill and Richmond with local stopping trains and express train from
> Ringwood (and beyond), also Moorabbin - Caulfield with express train from
> Frankston and local stopping trains from Mordialloc.

I figured they were called express trains...

> A third line between Blackburn and Mitcham would only cost about $30
million.
> they should spend a little extra and third track all the way from Box Hill
> to Ringwood and get rid of the 6 level crossings at the same time.
> (I better stop dreaming now, it won't happen)

They (labor) have given a 9.5mill cost... I don't see how anything can be
built for 9mil, maybe just the track with no platforms? :) The knox tram
extension will cost $19mil according to them

> So say $70 Million for all these works or $255 million for the freeway
> to Ringwood (which is only about 3km).

+$35 mil for the extra long tunnel (supposedly trippled in length now,
according to Herald Sun)

cheers
Johann