Re: ARTC track speeds up and down on the Vic main west

In article <37D79E31.85A8346@ancc.com.au> David Langley <del@ancc.com.au> writes:
>From: David Langley <del@ancc.com.au>
>Subject: Re: ARTC track speeds up and down on the Vic main west
>Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 21:46:57 +1000

>Krel wrote:

>> However the PTULD has placed a PIN notice on the increases (reverting
>> to the status quo) due to infrastructure problems, mostly signal
>> sighting and lack of distant signals.

>Aren't the signals at the loops between Manor and Tatyoon actually point
>indicators. That would mean that we would have distant point indicators.
>Not so silly when you consider that Emu Loop has a repeater for the switch
>stand at the down end and CRT Siding has repeaters for the Switch Locks.

>Aside from that, is there any progress with getting these signals
>recognised as such - home signals - or is still at a stalemate?

>David.

As I understand it the arrival signals if thats what they are at the loops are
automatically operated on the approach of an oncoming train , at least the
signal for the thru road is , then would we have for the first time ever
automatic home signals , as distinct from home sinals that can function as
automatics (ie with a red letter A.)

Seriously though, hasnt this farce gone on for long enuf.
ARTC are spending $50 M approx lenghtening loops etc and have $250 M to spend.
Any line that has 115 km/h trains on it and automatic loops has got to have
distants,you cant expect a 5000 tonne superfreighter(and thats what ARTC want
to increase the loads to on the Melb - Adelaide corridor) travelling at 115
km/h to be able to stop at a loop with no distants, especially where you cant
see the home until your right on top of it.

If ARTC cant see themselves able to upgrade this bit to CTC , then maybe
electric tablet working or better still , Tyers single wire single line block
could be used , joke , I wish it was.

MD