melb/other places - faster links - how ?

from ALP vic website:

Rail

A Bracks Labor Government will:

Commit $25 million for a fast rail
upgrade to Ballarat - with the aim of
cutting travel between Ballarat and
Melbourne to under 60 minutes.

Commit $20 million for a Rapid Transit
Link from the city to Melbourne Airport -
cutting travel time to 15 minutes.

Commit $20 million for a fast rail link
to Geelong - cutting travel time to 45
minutes.

Commit $20 million for a fast rail
upgrade to Bendigo - aiming for an eighty
minute link to Melbourne.

Commit $15 million to the upgrade of the
Traralgon line.

"For the first time in our state's
history - our great provincial cities
will be properly joined to Melbourne," Mr
Bracks said.

How would one speed up bendigo/melb connection?  I've travelled on it, and it
seems to be a good connection.

Also; I've read the Melb Airport Rail Link Proposal by Dept of Infrastructure,
and the authors conclude that the fastest/cheapest combination is the Barry rd
north option via Broadmeadows.  This will cost $274million and will achieve a
19minute travel time to the first city station.  How would Steve Bracks get to
the city for $20million in 15minutes?

Perhaps, he'll invest in a fleet of very fast buses (VFB).

The cheapest option, using rail, is to extend the Airport West (Essendon, not
Tullamarine) tram line.  This however would mean a journey time of 65 minutes
to the city.

Anyone have any ideas, where and how he will achieve his desires for the said
amounts of money?

Andrei