Re: Rail Heritage Centre Vic. announced

Stuart Thyer wrote:

> I hear that an official announcement on the Victorian Rail heritage centre
> is imminent.  This will be located at the Newport Workshops in East & West
> blocks of the 1888 buildings.  It will incorporate the ARHS museum,
> Steamrail and other operators curently on site.  No details are yet
> available on a dollar figure or the exact plans for the site.
>
> Stay tuned or keep your ears to the ground.

This is from www.jeff.com.au, i.e. Jeff's promises:

Victoria's Transport Heritage

      The Hawthorn Tram Depot is in the process of being developed
      by the private sector. The development is conditional upon
      part of the building being retained for the storage of
      Melbourne's Heritage Tram Fleet. The Hawthorn Tram Depot will
      house the fleet and a Committee of Management will be
      established to manage public viewing and the occasional
      operation of the fleet around Melbourne.

      The year 2004 marks 150 years of railway operation in
      Australia, with Melbourne being the birthplace of Australian
      rail. A Coalition Government will investigate the
      establishment of a Heritage Rail Centre at Newport. This would
      incorporate existing heritage operators, currently located in
      East Block with the extensive train collection and experience
      of the Australian Railway Heritage Society that would be
      relocated to West Block.

      To ensure a positive future for Victoria's numerous heritage
      railway operators, the Coalition will guarantee non-profit
      rail organisations are entitled to an aggregate of up to
      30,000 kilometres a year free access to rail lines.