Political Idiocy...ne National Rail Corp

> The initial area of dispute was that VIC was unhappy about a possible bid
from
> Qrail, god knows why but I wouldnt at all be surprised if its the old
States
> rights thing, ie we dont want another State running a National Rail
Transport
> operation,no problem if its a private concern doing the same thing.
> The same issue arose prior to the creation of the NRC,as the original
intent
> was simply to make AN the National Rail carrier (would have made a lot of
> sense),but VIC and NSW simply wouldnt agree.
> Were other Govts barred from bidding for the VLF - FV sale?
>

> MD

Lots of Rumours around, one of which went like this....
Pre Take Over.... V/Line Freight spent many thousands of dollars training
South Dynon Crews, usually on the failed Austrac partnership, in roads and
signals from Albury to Junee. Austrac was always a convenient means to an
end.
Kennett shot of his mouth in March this year, when consistant reports put
Freight Corporation as a major contender for Freight Victoria....that is he
said No way! [Isaacson Press, I believe?]
Almost immediatly the negotiations between V/Line Freight and Freight
Corporation to run a two train
service into Victoria were cancelled at the insistance of Freight Corp, and
negotiations were quickly
completed with GNRS to run the train instead.
Soon after Austrac had their contract terminated and crews in Dynon and
Wodonga, have lost their accreditations, and any chance of what could have
been a good job for some, and a chance to keep their job, for others.
Rod