Re: Uncompleted Railways

Geoff Lambert wrote (inter alia) in message
<7r26v7$ljn$1@mirv.unsw.edu.au>...
>* Great Western Railway, which was to have run from the Derwent Valley
>to Mt Lyell.  Fully surveyed and some construction work went on and a
>formation made at the eastern end in the 1990s.  Then the company (an
>English one) went bust and it all folded up.

I'm not sure that the Tasmanian Great Western Railway qualifies as one on
which "a substantial start was made on construction but work stopped and
consequently no track was laid".

Reading from The Emu Bay Railway (Lou Rae, 1991),

* The Great Western Railway and Electric Ore Reduction Act 1896 was passed
on 26 November 1896 and authorised a railway, a refinery and a hydro power
scheme
* Construction actually commenced on 29 December 1900 but works were
short-lived as finance ran out
* The clearing and formation works that were started to the west of Glenora
were later incorporated in the Government's extension of its Derwent Valley
line to Westerway.

I think this means that after work stopped, track was laid!

Rgds

Bill