Re: Uncompleted Railways

"Garry Hoddinett" <hoddos@netspace.net.au> wrote:

>Can anyone give information on any railway were a SUBSTANTIAL start was =
>made on construction but work stopped and consequently no track was =
>laid?

>Are there any others?  Any similar "railways" in other states?

In Tasmania, you could probably count the following:

* Great Western Railway, which was to have run from the Derwent Valley
to Mt Lyell.  Fully surveyed and some construction work went on and a
formation made at the eastern end in the 1990s.  Then the company (an
English one) went bust and it all folded up.

* New Dundas Tramway.  This was an 1892 job, with a 3'6" line that was
to run from Argenton (south of Zeehan) to Dundas.  Nearly all of the
formation was laid (and is still visible), but the 1893 depression
stopped rail-laying.  In much later years, tributors laid wood rails
on the formation and, later still, Howard used the same formation,
near the Zehhan-Queenstown road,  for a timber tram.

* I have a feeling the Mt Horror to Bridport line was in this
cetegory.

* The North Lyell Copper Co's 3'6" Comstock line, which had 3 Shays,
was partially in this category.  The formation was all made and the
rails were laid as far as the northern slopes of Mt Lyell, when the
company merged with MLMR, after which everything stopped.  This
formation is also still visible today.

Geoff Lambert