Essendon - Keilor - Bulla Railway

Hi all,
        Whilst I was at the State lirary (Melbourne), I came across a map of
a proposed railway, Essendon - Keilor - Bulla.  The line would have branched
from Essendon and headed West, pretty much straight away until it reached
Keilor, then it basically followed a straight line from Keilor to Bulla,
basically along the same route as the Tullamarine Freeway.  There is no
specific date other than 189-.

It was surveyed and submitted to the 'Railways Dept.' by MR Johnstone C.E.

    It would have been good, had it been built, it could have serviced
Essendon and Tullamarine Airport, altough it would have been in the road of
Tulla airport!  The 59 tram, basically follows a similar path to it, so
maybe things would have been quite different!

    No doubt, there were a lot of railways around melbourne which were
proposed, like this one, and were never built, but I would like to cover
this on my Broadmeadws line website, if anyone has any information on it to
share.

regards,

Steven Hurst
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
http://home.primus.com.au/hurste/bmsl

Ford - Live It  www.ford.com.au

ICQ: 47551124   -   Yahoo Pager: hursteau