[MELB] Hillside Vandalism

Today (Sun) at work (Thomastown Station) a down spark came through at
1340 with 3 windows smashed in the rear passenger compartment, and a
driver's window shattered on the rear car. This resulted in the set
being unusable at Epping and as it was a 3 car set, could not be
divided. As it was a Sunday, there were no standby trains available so
as a result, the 1351 up did not run.
Later, as I was walking out the door at 1402, the Train Controller
announced that the 1551 up would be cancelled at Reservoir due to
vandalism and run empty to Clifton Hill, where it would turn around and
return to Epping empty.

These are not isolated incidents on the Epping line as 2 thursdays ago,
a teenage gang went on a rampage and pushed out every window in one
carriage and ripped the seats, the train had to be operated in single
carriage mode for the rest of the night.

If this is happening on the Epping line this frequently, I'm sure it
must happen as frequently on other lines and with the heavy penalties
applied to the private operators, It would be costing us a fortune in
repair bills and late running penalties, not to mention the
inconvenience to our customers.

What is the answer? Sydney's way: A security guard in every train?
Brisbane's answer: random patrols? Security cameras in each carriage?

Even if the inside of trains are protected, that won't stop people from
throwing missiles at the trains. It frustrates me that there can be such
moronic people in the world, whose lives are so empty that they have to
ruin other people's property to get their thrills.

Sam Eades