Re: GSR will extend the Ghan service to Darwin

Dave Proctor (daproc@spambait.umpires.com) wrote:
> < Tell > <telljb@OZozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> cWwaODI7yKEe5XgtZKZzlNWVCJH0@4ax.com">news:cWwaODI7yKEe5XgtZKZzlNWVCJH0@4ax.com...
> > "Dave Proctor" <daproc@spambait.umpires.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > The cars I was referring to are totally unused - they have never turned
> > > wheel in revenue service, I do not think they have even been tested - I
> > > think they went straight from the factory to storage sidings.
> >
> > Care to elaborate Dave.

> NightStar carriages - built for sleeping car services between Britain and
> Europe through the tunnel - proposal abandoned.

They would be essentially useless. They weigh 60t each and have limited
capacity. The weight is mostly water sprinkler systems to comply with the
draconian Eurotunnel fire regulations.

I think GSR should go for double deck cars similar to Amtrak. While they
wouldn't be able to run them everywhere (yet), like Amtrak they would not
have to use them everywhere.

Cheers
David