Re: Programming languages (Was Grade Conversions)

John Dennis <jdennis@acslink.net.au> wrote in aus.rail:

>>Personally, i wouldn't touch an MCSE with a bargepole. A frighteningly huge
>>amount of them seem to be in it for the money, when they should have been a
>>taxi driver or something that matches their intellect.
>
>Funny you should say that.  The taxi-driver I used regularly to get me
>to and from the airport is now an MCSE.  Admittedly he did work very
>hard, but I do find your comment ironic.

As one who is in the middle of his MCSE course, I find your comments a
tad amusing. Yes, I am in it for the money, only because after 24
years of repairing selling and renting computers I have realised at
last that there is no money in it any more. I find it very difficult
competing with Joe Bloggs down the road with little experience, little
knowledge and little overhead charging a quarter of what I do. Once
upon a time fixing computers required a bit of brain and training to
repair to component level - but how can I do that these days? What's
component level? What's TTL? What's resistor colour-coding? Who knows?
Who cares? It's not helped by the fact that computers are more
reliable than ever and are so damn cheap..

Oh yeh, and I used to drive taxis too.

Les Brown