Re: Programming languages (Was Grade Conversions)

David Bromage <dbromage@fang.omni.com.au> wrote in message
UT8R3.48$Dm1.378376@news0.optus.net.au">news:UT8R3.48$Dm1.378376@news0.optus.net.au...
> Chris Stratton (stratton.chris.cp@nospam.bhp.com.au) wrote:
> > David Bromage <dbromage@fang.omni.com.au> wrote in message
> > kLQP3.82$c52.867983@news0.optus.net.au">news:kLQP3.82$c52.867983@news0.optus.net.au...
> > or

> > You
> > >
> > > When I get some time I'll translate it into a real programming
language.
> > :)
>
> > What, you know COBOL do you?
>
> Wash your mouth out with boiler treatment! Knock off the last 4 letters
> and you might redeem yourself. :)
>
> Cheers
> David

I thought C stood for Crap (I know, I had to program in it while at Uni).
For the sort of programming I did COBOL was much better because Business
Programming is exactly what it is designed for. It helps to have a good (ie
non-Unix) system with a decent compiler and debugger. In the real world
(non-Uni) COBOL is still an important programming language but when you try
to explain this to Uni lecturers they just laugh, as to them the whole world
is Unix and C.
--
Regards,
Chris Stratton