Re: Irish Gauge

John Dennis wrote:

> I have just been asked why Victoria ran on 5'3" and New South Wales on
> standard gauge.  I know all the Australian history of those decisions,
> and was able to answer the query.  I was then asked why the Irish chose
> 5'3" as opposed to the Biritish standard gauge.

> Can anybody assist with an answer ...

> JD

> John Dennis

I cannot vouch for the truth of the following, but you never know! :-)

It was said that, when the Irish wanted to build a railway, they sent
over
a person to measure the track so as to have a "standard" gauge.
Unfortunately,
said person measured over the outside of the rails, which just happened
to be
5' 3". It does not explain how India and Spain got 5' 6" though.

John McCallum