Re: Irish Gauge

According to the history books, the Ulster Company commenced building a line
to Dublin with 6ft 2in gauge. The Drogheda Company coming north to meet
them, set out from Dublin with a 5ft 2in gauge. The compromise was 5ft 3in.
There were, however a plethora of 3ft gauge light railways, so that a truly
national gauge for Ireland did not exist by 1900.

S Crawshaw

3819785D.51DC8575@melbpc.org.au">news:3819785D.51DC8575@melbpc.org.au...