Re: XPT timetable feedback

Hi dianne...

Dianne Lucas wrote in message <7varjg$41e$1@perki.connect.com.au>...
>Why not just run the XPT through Strathfield, the suburban platforms at
>Central, Chatswood and Hornsby, to provide a through service Melb -
>Brisbane.  I know XPTs have been run through the city circle before, but is
>there any reason fumes for example why a regular XPT could not use the
North
>Shore line and provide through Melb - Brisbane trains but also North Coast
>Sydney boarding points at Southern Highlands, Campbelltown, Strathfield,
>Sydney, Chatswood / St. Leonards, Hornsby, Gosford and Wyong?

Yep fumes are a worry.... but with the new engines, maybe the fume problem
will not be such an issue.. Also they would be gettin a bit skinny on fuel
and would require fuelling at Grafton... and if ya lost an engine enroute,
it is doubtful they would make Grafton on the fuel they carry...

 Again Southern
>line trains to Melbourne picking up passengers at Gosford / Central Coast,
>Hornsby, Chatswood / St. Leonards, Central, Strathfield, Campbelltown etc?
>Surely this would only encourage patronage?

Yes it would... but at most times the trains are pretty well booked up now..

>Also is there any reason why an XPT could not be run Central - Sutherland -
>Wollongong - Robertson - Moss Vale - Melbourne and service Wollongong,
NSW's
>3rd biggest city with Interstate trains??

I think that would add time to the current table... the time table experts
would know... so the majority of people who join at Sydney or Melbourne,
would be expected to stay on the train for extra time to accomodate a few
people in Wollongong.. Maybe a better idea would be to introduve a connctor
at Mossvale down to the coast and vice a versa?

Cheers
Jack
Queensland: Perfect One day
Beautiful the next
And wet for the other 363 days of the year