Re: Irish Gauge

Jackson Harding <jaxsonjo@camtech.net.au> wrote in message
38182EBC.3A690150@camtech.net.au">news:38182EBC.3A690150@camtech.net.au...
> David Bromage wrote:
>
> > David Lindstrom (D_Lindstrom@bigpond.com) wrote:
> > > On this subject I'd love to know what some of the advantages of the
5'3"
> > > gauge are over standard gauge.
> > > I recall reading an article in the Melbourne Herald sometime in the
1970s
> > > which said that an even broader gauge was also considered for Victoria
(the
> > > seven feet and one quarter of an inch).
> >
> > There's a reason for that. Back in the 1850s, the chief engineer to the
> > colony of Victoria did not have any experience building railways. He
left
> > all the decisions to the consulting engineer to the Agent General in
> > London, a bloke by the name of I.K. Brunel. That's why Geelong -
Ballarat
> > and Melbourne - Bendigo were built double track with all the trimmings,
it
> > was the then GWR standard.
> >
> > Cheers
> > David
>
> That is also why, IMHO,  the VR and the GWR "feel" similar.

There is more in that than you realise, take a copy of the GWR 1934? Rule
book and compare it with any VR rule book uptil 1966 and not only are they
worded almost word for word, the rules even follow on in the same sequence,
(different Regulation and Rule numbers though).

Look at the design of the stations between Hawksburn and Caulfield (and
Oakleigh, Essendon and a few more) and look at photos of Birmingham Snow
Hill and you will see that the brick work design patons are almost
identical. The private Geelong and Melbourne used Bridge Rail (some still
exists in the Museum), Lara was originally to be called Swindon where the
G&M was to build a workshop, ARHS had a book for sale a few years ago about
a fellow called Shea (I think that was his name?  He was the G&M Engineer
and was GWR trained). V/Line even intended naming a G class "Great Western"
back in 1985 to commorate the GWR 150, but Roper stopped it. (I have a
letter from Senior V/Line Management to prove this). So yes the old VR was
very much one of God's Wonderful Railways.

Bob.