Re: WCR leasing R766?

    I would like to clear something up here. I have nothing against the
conversion of R711 to the "super R" condition. I like the look of the loco
and I think it sounds better than a normal R! I am not trying to start an
argument over which design is better, I like them both! I just don't like
the idea of converting a locomotive that is currently restored and
operational.

    If we had a greater population of railfans (eg: UK) and there were
more resources available to cheaply maintiain existing locomotives then I
would have no problem with the restoration of every single locomotive in
the state. I am pretty sure that I'm not the only person who would like to
see heavy harry run again. But in Victoria we don't live in a paradise and
the available resources for maintaining steam locomotives in service are
not the cheapest and easiest to get. Victoria also has a much lower
population of railfans than countries like the UK and most of them aren't
active members of societies like Steamrail, SRHC, etc... With this in mind
I would rather see fewer operational steam locomotives in service that are
properly maintained to a high standard than if we had a greater number of
"operational" steam locomotives in various stages of disrepair, simply
because the preservation societies bit off more than they could chew
(excuse the old saying <g!>).

    The steam service to Warrnambool isn't garanteed to survive. It might
lose its popularity when the novelty of a steam service wears off or WCR
might lose the contract. Anything can happen, so why modify and ruin the
historical significante of an existing, restored locomotive that has had
many hours of volunteer labour put into it when the need for a "super R"
mightn't exist in 10 years. If WCR really needs a back up loco then why
don't they simply buy or lease R700 off whoever owns it and convert it.
This locomotive has had no volunteer labour put into it and if it fails
then we have lost nothing, the loco is destined to sit in storage anyway.
I have had many great trips behind R766 and I would hate to see it
modified only to become surplus to requirements in a few years.

Yuri J Sos wrote:

> Of course it wasn't restored to its original VR condition.  It was
> modified, upgraded, improved with design features to make it feasible
> to be used in regular revenue service in the 90's.  AFAIK its running
> costs are roughly comparable to one of WCR's S class.  It has superior
> power and range to "standard" Rs and can control trailing diesels from
> its MU stand, thus obviating the need for additional (diesel) crews.
> Refuelling and online maintenance is also much simpler than a standard
> coal-burning R.
>
> It's an mainline operational revenue earning locomotive, not a
> "preserved" locomotive.
>
> It's not meant to be a restored locomotive any more than an A class is
> a restored B or a P class a restored T.

   I never said that it was preserved, except I included it in the list. I
should have changed the heading to currently operational steam
locomotives, not restored locomotives. I do realise that its an
operational revenue locomotive.

>Nonsense.  It will give R766 a new lease of life and provide us with a
>second locomotive capable of revenue mainline operation at 115km/h.
>It also "protects" the Saturday steam turn by ensuring a back-up
>locomotive is always available -- good business practice.

    R766 doesn't need a "new lease on life". The locomotive is already
restored and running. If any locomotive needs a "new lease on life" it is
R700, so why doesn't WCR modify it instead of ruining an existing running
example of an original R class? If the steam service to Warrnambool fails
then we haven't lost anything.

> In fact, I remember mourning the demise of the Bs as they were
> converted to A class...... until I heard my first A class rev up with
> its magnificent ground shaking rumble then roar and all was forgiven
> <g!>.  Times change, and the railways have to move with the changing
> times.

    So according to you we should totally ignore any historical facts
about existing preserved locomotives, simply because we can now rebuild
them to a better design. Where do you draw the line? If we should move
with the times then why are we even using steam? Modern diesel locomotives
are far more efficient and cheaper to operate.

--
- James Brook -

e-mail:
mailto:ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au