Re: WCR leasing R766?

On Thu, 28 Oct 1999 15:56:38 +1000, James Brook
<ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au> wrote, and I selectively quote:

>. I like R711, but that loco was never restored to its original VR
>condition.

Of course it wasn't restored to its original VR condition.  It was
modified, upgraded, improved with design features to make it feasible
to be used in regular revenue service in the 90's.  AFAIK its running
costs are roughly comparable to one of WCR's S class.  It has superior
power and range to "standard" Rs and can control trailing diesels from
its MU stand, thus obviating the need for additional (diesel) crews.
Refuelling and online maintenance is also much simpler than a standard
coal-burning R.

It's an mainline operational revenue earning locomotive, not a
"preserved" locomotive.

It's not meant to be a restored locomotive any more than an A class is
a restored B or a P class a restored T.

> Once R766 has been converted to R711's condition it will be
>wrecked.

Nonsense.  It will give R766 a new lease of life and provide us with a
second locomotive capable of revenue mainline operation at 115km/h.
It also "protects" the Saturday steam turn by ensuring a back-up
locomotive is always available -- good business practice.

In fact, I remember mourning the demise of the Bs as they were
converted to A class...... until I heard my first A class rev up with
its magnificent ground shaking rumble then roar and all was forgiven
<g!>.  Times change, and the railways have to move with the changing
times.

As you point out in your list, we have lots of "preserved"
locomotives.  The R766 conversion/R700 restoration maintains the
status quo as far as to the number of "preserved" Rs and delivers an
extra "super" R for revenue and enjoyment and to show that steam can
still play a part in transport at the end of the millennium (ie until
2001 <g!>).

                      R711 & R766 -- Where no Luddites Fly!

(paraphrasing 3AK's slogan of many years ago -- "Where no wrinklies
fly")

Regards

Yuri
--