Re: Longest Tram Ride (Melb)

In article <38175032@news.iprolink.co.nz>, Dave McL <davemcl@AXE*THISipr
olink.co.nz> writes
>Vaughan Williams wrote:
>> The longest tram routes in Melbourne AFAIK (I may have forgotten some)
>> are, by distance
>> 1. Bundoora RMIT #86, which I think is the second longest tram route in
>> the world
>It is certainly a little longer longer, at about 21km, than Route 23
>(Chestnut Hill) in Philadelphia which Americans claimed was the longest
>line in the world. However the 23 has been suspended since 1992 so it
>doesn't count at present anyway.
>
>I have been told by some people in Europe that some German lines are
>longer than the 86, but it seems such lines are more like interurbans
>than tram lines. The 86 is certainly one of the longest city-suburb
>street running line in the world and may indeed be the longest.
>
>Which did you hear was longer?

Well, the Guinness Book of Records gives the Krefeld - Witten route in
the Ruhrgebiet of Northwest Germany as the longest possible tram
*journey*.   You have to change cars several times to complete the full
run, though.   It is indeed partially interurban but I've travelled over
most of it at various times and it is undeniably a tramway, not a light
railway.

Contenders for the longest single route would include the Albtalbahn
routes south from Karlsruhe [1], some of the country routes out of
Dresden and the Koeln-Bonn routes 16 & 18.

[1] These include buffet and bar facilities on board.   My kind of
tramway!   :-)
--
Ian Jelf        http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Birmingham, UK