Re: Longest Tram Ride (Melb)

Vaughan Williams wrote:

> The longest tram routes in Melbourne AFAIK (I may have forgotten some)
> are, by distance
> 1. Bundoora RMIT #86, which I think is the second longest tram route in
> the world

It is certainly a little longer longer, at about 21km, than Route 23
(Chestnut Hill) in Philadelphia which Americans claimed was the longest
line in the world. However the 23 has been suspended since 1992 so it
doesn't count at present anyway.

I have been told by some people in Europe that some German lines are
longer than the 86, but it seems such lines are more like interurbans
than tram lines. The 86 is certainly one of the longest city-suburb
street running line in the world and may indeed be the longest.

Which did you hear was longer?

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand