Re: NSW country rail lines upgrade

In article <7v4s6l$6ic$1@lios.apana.org.au> craigd@lios.apana.org.au (C. Dewick) writes:
>From: craigd@lios.apana.org.au (C. Dewick)
>Subject: Re: NSW country rail lines upgrade
>Date: 27 Oct 1999 04:33:57 +1000

>In <38126552.0@newshost.pcug.org.au> "David Virgo" <dvirgo@pcug.org.au> writes:

>>Jonathan Lau <jonlau@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
>>> Yesterday's (22/10) Daily Telegraph had an article about 4 new country
>>> rail projects in NSW. $ 3 Million have been allocated for:
>>>
>>> - Reopening of a key section of the Moree-Inverell Line.
>>> - Major upgrades of Cooma-Queanbeyan line.
>>> - Major upgrades of north western wheat lines.
>>> - Extended crossing loop at Emerald Hill near Gunnedah.

>>On the Cooma-Queanbeyan line, the work is likely to be extend only as far as
>>Hume (timber yards & possible container traffic).

>This is rather silly, given the *immense* revenue potential of operating ski
>trains between Sydney and Cooma during the winter, and general passenger
>trains (which would cater equally well for tourists as the winter ski
>specials could) outside the ski season.

I would infact be supprised if anyone used ski trains, Coomas to far from the
ski fields for all the ski bunnies.

>>It would be nice if they would throw money at fixing the bridge near
>>Michelago, so the MTR can get trains through again.

At the moment I believe it's up to the local council to officially close the
road under the bridge, then the bridge will be filled in and a private level
crossing installed south of the bridge site.

Dave Malcolm