Re: NSW country rail lines upgrade

In <38126552.0@newshost.pcug.org.au> "David Virgo" <dvirgo@pcug.org.au> writes:

>Jonathan Lau <jonlau@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
>> Yesterday's (22/10) Daily Telegraph had an article about 4 new country
>> rail projects in NSW. $ 3 Million have been allocated for:
>>
>> - Reopening of a key section of the Moree-Inverell Line.
>> - Major upgrades of Cooma-Queanbeyan line.
>> - Major upgrades of north western wheat lines.
>> - Extended crossing loop at Emerald Hill near Gunnedah.

>On the Cooma-Queanbeyan line, the work is likely to be extend only as far as
>Hume (timber yards & possible container traffic).

This is rather silly, given the *immense* revenue potential of operating ski
trains between Sydney and Cooma during the winter, and general passenger
trains (which would cater equally well for tourists as the winter ski
specials could) outside the ski season.

>It's really false advertising to refer to the line as the Cooma-Queanbeyan
>line.

Yes, it is a bit of a misnomer, but everything north of Queanbeyan is
already up to standard because the line is regularly used by the Xploders
and freighters to Canberra. So I presume that is the reason Comandante
Scully used that description.

>It would be nice if they would throw money at fixing the bridge near
>Michelago, so the MTR can get trains through again.

I agree. Not having a map of the line in front of me, does anyone know if
the scope of the work on the Cooma line involves major work to repair or
replace the timber bridge at Chakola?

Regards,

Craig.
--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport