gauges

I believe the early gauge questions were of ego-centric engineers such as
Brunel who argued about the technical superiority vs economic reality of
large and narrow gauges. The key question of compatability seems to have
escaped them. I suppose the distances seemed further apart than they do now,
and the question of saving labour at transhipment points didn't bother them.

A further question for the group - why was the solution of changeable gauge
axles never explored years ago - even the proposed conical wheels or
telescopic axles sound reasonable for some applications. Voltage convertable
electric trains have been around a while to solve a different
incompatability problem - the Talgo idea made a lot of sense in Australia
but never tried. State govts I suppose is the answer. 1067mm to 1435mm is a
big jump, but not 1435 to 1600 - I'm sure a bit of adjustability in the
bogie frame and movable bearings would accommodate the difference. The
purists may say that for high speed applications the instability of a
flexible wheel set is undesirable, but for those heavy grinds say down from
Narranderra to Tocumwal, expand the axles and then down to Geelong, ideal.

Kk9R3.475$8F2.6964@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net">news:Kk9R3.475$8F2.6964@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net...