Re: NRC & Douglas Park

>In NSW the Rail Safety Act is administered by NSW Dept of Transport. This
>covers most of the above aspects of surveillance. Furthermore Rail Access
>Corp has various powers in regard to the trains permitted to operate on its
>tracks.

>Geoff

There is no doubt that the above organizations have the powers to enact
surveillance and inspection of trains , but in reality do they do it, ie does
DOT or RAC have rail inspectors travelling around the state inspecting trains?
Ive certainly never heard of any , and from a more practical perspective would
they have people with the correct expertise available.
There is also in the RAC case , a severe conflict of interest in that RAC
derives all its income from having trains running over its tracks,so that the
last thing they would want is to stop trains running .
If we go back to the road analogy,the police dont own the roads , nor do they
gain financial benefit from having more users on the roads,so that putting
vehicles off the roads has no financial effect .

MD