Re: NRC & Douglas Park

In article <3812BE5C.2ACBB664@MYlisp.com.au> John MacCallum <johnmac@MYlisp.com.au> writes:
>From: John MacCallum <johnmac@MYlisp.com.au>
>Subject: NRC & Douglas Park
>Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 08:11:13 GMT

>I have heard from an unconfirmed source that NRC has done it again!
>Anyone know anything about that train that De-Railed supposedly
>Needing to knock a truck off at Clyde which had bad scaled wheels
>and didn't?

>That if true would add to their latest list of achievements!
>Like running through Lithgow on the up without a Grade examination.
>Or pulling that road railer in half Falconbridge.
>--

>Pope

>Alias   John MacCallum

>remove MY from MYlisp to get the real email address.

Without making any comment about the particular incident , until a full report
is available, it does however raise one interesting issue in relation to
horizontal integration of railways in that who are the rail police.?
In the road scenerio , road users can be ordered off the roads for having
unroadworthy vehicles .
Who performs this function in the rail scene , ie how do we know that there
arnt un- railworthy vehicles, either locos or rolling stock travelling round.
 Given the recent de-railment at Lara in Vic and this one , it would seem that
there is a requirement for some sort of inspection mechanism for rolling stock
undertaken by someone other than the rail operator.
It would also seem prudent along the same lines to have rail weighbridges or
random rail weighings carried out , to make sure that vehicles arnt being
overloaded.
Since most rail operators pay a access fee , based on a GTK basis , if there
arnt weighbridges in use , how does the track owner know exactly how much a
train weighs , for fee purposes.?

Thorny issues ??

MD