Re: Rail related questions about moving to Sydney

Yes - quite an unhelpful post.

I can't comment on the North Shore Line as such, but I can comment on
2 other lines. I travelled between Campbelltown and Bondi Junction for
a total of 6 years (usually changing at Central) between 1990 and
1996. I was only ever late for work twice (we were stuck in a tunnel
for 2 hours near Edgecliff station, and the other occasion occurred
near Glenfield due to a points failure resulting in a delay of nearly
an hour).  Apart from that I can only think of 2 or 3 other major
disruptions (1/2 hour or more delay) in that entire 6 year period. The
service on the Illawarra line was very reliable (and even if a train
was cancelled one could always count on another coming along within 5
minutes), and the Campbelltown/East Hills service was also quite
reliable.

I would hate to guess how many times I would have late for work if I
had been driving in everyday during those 6 years !!!