Re: Photostops on tours

David Johnson <trainman@ozemail.com.au> wrote in article
<380DBE60.BDB93F05@ozemail.com.au>...
> It usually ends up being up to the safeworking officer on duty at the
time.  If
> he has no objections, it is surprising what can happen.  There are places
where
> set back photo stops will not happen (ie track circuited automatic
signalling
> areas), however, when a train has the staff, most times train crews will
do
> them.  Does all QR rollingstock have a ladder at every door?  NSW does...

Most QR excursion cars have end platforms and steps for low level access.
Although the last step to ground level is high, it is easily managed by
most people. One problem with new track is the height of ballast. QR seem
to think everyone is going to fall over and injure themselves.

QR's solution is to hold photostops at platforms. On a recent trip, we had
a stop at a low level platform on double track. It was actually more
dangerous as we had to cross the tracks at a level crossing to get on the
sunny side as a grain train powered through on the other track.