Re: Oct RD report; Queenslander 2800 locos - and tilt train

Matthew Geier wrote:

>  Weight. Under the wires you are carrying a dead diesel engine about, which
> would have to be started 1/2hr short of Rocky anyway to ensure the engine is
> warm before you it gets under load - or electricly heat and circulate oil
> and water.
>  Then for the rest of the trip you are hauling the dead weight of transformers.
>
>  At any rate, isnt the electric tilt train a 'distributed power' EMU?. Space
> would be pretty tight under those cars as it is.
>
>  I dont know that I would want to spend over 12 hours on a DMU with the
> constant din from the diesel engine packs winding up and down all the time.

What about a constant speed (1500 RPM) diesel engine driving a 25kV generator?
Then the trannies are still being used, and the diesel engine is not running up and
down.  It is far easier to get used to noise if it does not change.

--
David Johnson
trainman@ozemail.com.au