Re: Oct RD report; Queenslander 2800 locos - and tilt train

PETer and susAN <petan@NOSPAMion.com.au> wrote in message
380da1d0.16157428@news.ion.com.au">news:380da1d0.16157428@news.ion.com.au...

> >> Hmmm.... so we will have a diesel tilt train running under wires from
> >> Brisbane to Rocky?
> >
> >Why not make it an electro-diesel, like the ex-BR (now EWS,SWT,GatEx,etc)
> >Class73 - run on overhead from Brisbane to Rocky, and diesel from Rocky
> >Cairns.
> >
> >DaveP
>
> The Yanks have a similar duel power system for one of their major stations
where diesels are banned.
> I think it is New York??    Seems to work there and I understand it is not
a recent operating
> procedure.

 New York is right.
There are some locos operated by (i think) Amtrak, and Metro North which are
dual power, the
main difference being that they use third rail for electric running.  I
don't know what voltage the 3rd rail
system is over there..

In any case, the distances run would be a lot shorter than Brisbane-Rocky.

--
John McCandless
Never play leapfrog with a unicorn...