Re: NGGF

In <8E64DBF3AtelstraNews@vic.news.telstra.net> Michael Kurkowski <mk@netstra.com.au> writes:

>Hi,

>Does the NSW coding system follow any sort of logic like Victorias does?

>e.g. where the second letter is: O = open, F = flat, Z = works, H = hopper
>etc.. third letter being type, e.g. a grain hopper would be HG.

Yes, actually it does mostly. First letter indicates the system that owns
the vehical ('N' means NSW), the second letter the type of vehicle ('G'
generally means grain, but also used for sugar), the third letter the
'series' of vehicle within this type, and the last letter can mean a speed
rating (ie. type of trucks), or departmental use.

I think John Beckhaus' circa-1982 'Raiwlay Freight Wagons of NSW' has info
about this, but since then a lot of changes have occured to wagon codes.

Regards,

Craig.
--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport