Re: Gauntlet tracks

In <7ubl9h$lp7$1@news1.mpx.com.au> "WhaleOilBeefHooked" <daproc@spambait.umpires.com> writes:

>David Bromage <dbromage@fang.omni.com.au> wrote in message
>NAcO3.17$Dh4.356959@news0.optus.net.au">news:NAcO3.17$Dh4.356959@news0.optus.net.au...
>> Don't forget the Hunter Valley coal lines just on the down side of
>> Sandgate. Each line divides into gauntlet track for a short distance.
>> I've asked why before, but never received a satisfactory answer.

>Wasn't there a weighbridge there? Trains on one set of tracks were weighed,
>and the other were not. Also existed somewhere around Canterbury too, I
>think, although I stand to be corrected on that one.

Yes, on the up goods line just after Campsie there was a weighbridge on the
straight section. The controlling signal was the one on the Sydney end of
the up goods platform. I used it a few times when I was at Enfield.

The weighbridge eventually fell into disrepair, and was eventually removed
when the Sydenham resignalling bow wave pushed it's way along the Bankstown
line...

However, since this is the gauntlet thread, a weighbridge with one set of
rails running over the strain gauges and one set not does *not* constitute
gauntlet track since there is no crossing of running rails.

Regards,

Craig.

--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport