Re: Gauntlet tracks

On Sat, 16 Oct 1999 01:48:28 +1000, "Darren H." <locob67@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Okay, it was silly of me to assume that everyone would know what is meant by
>gauntlet track. Sorry.
>Basically it is two separate rail lines superimposed onto the one set of
>sleepers, giving 4 rails.

Melbourne - SG mainline near Franklin St Box is gauntletted with a BG
track.
Albury-Wodonga area - In the late 1950's the Sg shunting line was
gauntletted with the BG mainline between Albury and Wodonga (Coal
sidings?) to allow for constuction of SG bridges and track.
In 1996? the SG main across the Murray River Bridge only was
gauntletted with the BG to allow the SG side of the approach to be
rebuilt. (Did anyone get the photos?)
At Bandolier (north of the Murray Valley Highway) There was/is a small
yard which consisted of five tracks; three were BG and three were SG.
The centre track was a gaunlet, ie four rails not three.
ISTR that the original Hawkesbury river bridge (NSW) was gauntlet in
its final years. Como river (NSW) may also have been.
I wonder if technically the approach and turntable at Seymour could be
considered gauntlet?

Cheers

Krel

VGR website http://www.castlemaine.net.au/~vgr/

If competition is so good how come there is only one Competition Commision?