Re: High and low stations (was submarine stations)

Michael <mk@netstra.com.au> wrote in message
8E64C908AtelstraNews@vic.news.telstra.net">news:8E64C908AtelstraNews@vic.news.telstra.net...

> The section between Museum and Parliament is also a lot longer than the
> section between Museum and Flagstaff.

Museum - Parliament: 1.12 km

Museum - Flagstaff: 0.61 km

> Since there is a curve between Museum and Parliament, it would also be
> harder to notice any grade, even if you are on the train at the time.

> I would also believe, that since there is assumably hardly any grade on the
> exit at the Parliament end of the Clifton Hill loop, it is most likely that
> Parliament is the highest station in the City Loop.

Can't find a reference off hand, not having the Metric Grades Book at my fingertips.
|-(

> The altitudes would be rather deceiving as well, taking into consideration,
> that there is a large dip toward the centre of the CBD, meaning that of the
> underground stations, Parliament and Flagstaff are close to the peaks. I
> would also consider the peak above parliament to be higher than that at
> Flagstaff.

I also think you will find that the Stations are deliberately at the top of peaks for
energy efficincy.  A train arriving into a platform therefore brakes uphill, &
departing it accelerates downhill.

--
Mr Notagunzel.
Rail Transportation Connoisseur.