Re: Oldest set of flashing lights at a road crossing still in situ

Notagunzel wrote:

> North Fitzroy
> 22/8/23 - Provision of Combined Wig Wag & Bell in lieu of Chicago Bell
> at Amess St.  (AFAIK this was the first Wig Wag)

Yes. And a Chicago Bell was very similar to the original bells mounted on
the top of the pole at flashing lights. SA had a number of Chicago Bell
protected level crossings. Incidently the bells are for the pedestrians
and not the motorists. The motorists are supposed to be sufficiently wide
awake to see the red lights.

> McKinnon
> 9/2/28 - Provision of Interlocking and Mechanical Boom Gates.  Only
> Installation of Mechanical Boom Gates.

Yes.

> Tooronga
> 6/2/56 - Provision of Boom Barriers in lieu of Hand Gates, 4 Miles 68
> Chains, Toorak Road.  (First Installation of Boom Barriers).

Yes and second set were at Linacre Road Hampton and most likely is still
the original equipment. I remember them being installed when I was just a
kid of ....... well that would be telling now wouldn't it.

> Now, what was a Chicago Bell?  Presumably a track circuit (or treadle)
> operated Bell?  Never heard of it up till now. |-(

See my attempted answer above.

The only questions you didn't answer was the first flashing lights but I
did elsewhere.

DEL