Re: (VIC) Derailment @ Elders

g'day,

Frank Jones wrote:

> Noted at the scene was an axle which had screwed in two at the
> bearing. Marks on the concrete sleepers began at a point about 300
> metres on the the Up side of the derailment. This suggests that a hot
> box had caused an axle failure, causing the axle to drop between the
> rails. The wagon would then have been dragged 300 metres until it
> struck the grade crossing.

As at 1550 hrs Monday, a pair of tamping machines were working feverishly on
site.  the Elders diamond has been removed, I think the points have been
removed from the BG as well, I'll check that tomorrow.  Elders Siding was
still used.

Unsubstantiated (but heard from a few independant sources) are the following
that I've heard:
- Train was pulled up at Brooklyn after the signalman suspected problems.
Nothing found.
- ex-spark driver at Hoppers Crossing heard (smelled?) it go past, rang
Newport Box to report it.
- BG train (pass or goods??) reported to the SCT crew that they had a wheel on
fire at or around Lara.  Lara-derailment is a couple of kms.

Regards,
Craig.
--
Craig Haber