Hornsby resignalling and catch points

During my brief Upper Hunter excustion last weekend, I suffered the worst
that Hornsby could throw at me.

NP23 departed Strathfield on time, only to be held at Beecroft for 40
minutes and at Thornleigh for another 20. By the time we departed Hornsby
we were already 90 minutes late, and 100 minutes late from Gosford
onwards. The Grafton XPT wouldn't have been too far behind us. Up workings
were similarly delayed, with the up GSPE passing Redfern at 11.10 and up
Murwillumbah XPT at Strathfield at 11.20. Part of the delay on the down
was an NR freight ahead of NP23. We eventually overtook it just past
Broadmeadow, and the two NRs were belching enough smoke to put an Alco to
shame.

Sunday was slightly better. NP24 crossed NP23 about 4km on the down side
of Maitland, so NP23 was only about 40 mins late. The Grafton XPT was
crossed near Sandgate. We were held at Berowra for 12 mins, then ran
slowly through to Thornleigh with a lonish stop at Hornsby. We were only
35 mins late into Central, just ahead of a pair of smoky things.

During the stop at berowra, I was intrigued to see a set of catch points
on the down line. Where else are there catch points on the main line?

Cheers
David